The curriculum at St John’s Prep is continually being evaluated and developed, so that it responds to the needs of its community, and also provides for the broader South African and global contexts.
- We aim to develop in our boys a life-long desire to learn and explore. This is encouraged through the teaching of exciting lessons, setting challenging projects and extending the learning experience through trips and tours to exhibitions, plays and places of interest. Each classroom is equipped with an interactive whiteboard and boys are encouraged to use technology to enable learning in a variety of different ways.
- We encourage independent learning. We strive to develop a culture of responsibility, empowering boys with the life skills needed to cope with the rigorous demands of College and further study.
- The curriculum is holistic, covering a wide range of subjects. The boys learn three languages – English, Afrikaans and isiZulu. Maths, Natural Sciences, History, Geography, Design and Technology, Information Technology, EMS, Sport, Music, Art and Drama make up the rest of the weekly programme.
- We also encourage boys to develop lateral and creative thinking skills, study skills, research skills and EQ skills.
- We strive for academic excellence, extending each individual to his full potential. The learning programme incorporates the relevant requirements of the Revised National Curriculum Statement and the CAPS policy document, but focuses on the unique needs St John’s Prep School.
- Most importantly, our curriculum is underpinned by Christian values. Our Divinity for Life programme is designed to give our boys a strong Christian foundation which they are encouraged to build on in their daily lives.