The St John’s College COVID-19 Task Team has been hard at work preparing the Campus for the safe return of staff and students in each section of the School and implementing our comprehensive set of COVID-19 compliance protocols.
As we move back into face-to-face teaching, we must create and maintain a daily regime that protects everyone at School. We are acutely aware that the new variant of COVID is a reality, and in Gauteng, we remain in the full eye of the storm of the second wave. This new virulent strain seems to transmit quickly and impacts younger people.
We are awaiting the Department of Basic Education to finalise its updated protocols and regulations for the return-to-school. The draft guidelines for classroom protocols indicate that desks must be 1m apart and that a maximum of 50 people may gather indoors, and 100 outdoors. St John’s College has met and will continue to meet, and exceed, all guidelines to keep our community safe.
St John’s has an excellent medical team to guide us. Sr Nomathemba Mabaso has led this team with great wisdom and expertise since the COVID-19 outbreak early last year. We thank her and her team for their hard work and care as well as their detailed planning that aims to provide a disciplined and transmission free school environment.
Mr Alan Lion-Cachet is working with the Heads of Sport and the COVID Task Team to finalise an appropriate, compliant and safe return to a sporting programme. Dr Ben Oosthuizen is supervising the return to music and choir protocols across all schools. These programmes will be communicated as soon as they are finalised.
We ask that all members of our community take all protocols outlined this document seriously and that we act responsibly and work collectively to ensure a clear, strong regime is followed at St John’s every day. We have the highest expectations for compliance, and we will enforce all protocols and regulations at all times.
1. The proper wearing of appropriate three-layer face masks is compulsory at all times by everyone on Campus. The wearing of a bandana or ‘buff’ as is not permitted.
2. Social distancing, both in class and outside of the classroom, is vital and will be enforced by staff daily.
3. We will insist on regular hand sanitising and cleaning of all learning surfaces under our care and control. Everyone will be required to sanitise on entering a venue, and desks will we swabbed by students before and after each lesson.
4. It is compulsory for everyone to complete the daily screening app and procedures at the relevant entrance points to their schools.
5. While we can enforce these protocols at School, we ask that we as a community continue to play our part off-campus by staying at home, not attending group gatherings and following these basic protocols to ensure the safety of all.
This COVID-19 School Protocol document aims to ensure a safe learning and working environment for all at St John’s and to mitigate against the risk of the spread of COVID-19 within the St John’s community.
We stand ready to receive our staff and students back in a safe and structured manner. This document summarises the key measures we are taking to mitigate the spread of COVID-19. All students, parents and staff are required to read this protocol and adhere to its measures to sustain a healthy and safe College campus at all times. It is up to us as a community to join together in a partnership pact to respond responsibly and transparently to protect the health and wellbeing of all within the St John’s community.
We look forward to welcoming staff and students back to our magnificent St John’s College campus while continuing to offer online teaching support to those students who may not be able to return-to-school.
Lux Vita Caritas