St John’s College is a world-class Christian, African school situated on a historic campus in Houghton, Johannesburg, offering quality education from Nursery School to Sixth Form. The school has an outstanding academic record and has a fine reputation in sport, music, drama and debating.
IT Support Technician
St John’s College is a world-class Christian, African school situated on a magnificent campus in Houghton, Johannesburg, offering quality education from Pre-Primary to Post-Matric. The school has an outstanding academic record, entering candidates for the examinations of the IEB and the Cambridge A-Level.
We are looking for a qualified IT Technician who will install and maintain computer systems and networks aiming for optimal performance and functionality. You will also “train” users of the systems to make appropriate and safe usage of the IT infrastructure.
A successful IT Technician must have a good working knowledge of computer software and hardware and a variety of internet applications, networks and operating systems. The ideal candidate will also have great troubleshooting abilities, attention to detail, and good interpersonal communication skills. The goal is to build and maintain updated and efficient computer systems and networks to optimize the role of technology within the school in a sustainable manner.
- Setting up workstations with computers and necessary peripheral devices
- Checking computer hardware (cables, mouses, keyboards, etc.) to ensure functionality
- Installing and configuring appropriate software and functions according to specifications
- Develop and maintain local networks in ways that optimize performance
- Ensure security and privacy of networks and computer systems
- Provide orientation and guidance to users on how to operate new software and computer equipment
- Organize and schedule upgrades and maintenance without deterring others from completing their work
- Perform troubleshooting to diagnose and resolve problems (repair or replace parts, debugging etc.)
- Maintain records/logs of repairs and fixes and maintenance schedule
- Identify computer or network equipment shortages and place orders as per the company’s procurement policies and device strategies
- IP Networking and LAN cabling
- Desktop Support – level 1 support
- Windows 10 Education, macOS, and iOS Operating System configuration
- Azure Active Directory user and password management
- Microsoft InTune MDM for iOS and Windows devices
- Google G-Suite and Microsoft Office 365
- VoIP (configuration and testing of IP phones)
- Certification as IT Technician will be an advantage (e.g. CompTIA A+, Microsoft Certified IT Professional) or proven experience as IT Technician or relevant position
- Excellent diagnostic and problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication ability
- Outstanding organizational and time-management skills
Closing date: 15 March 2020
A letter of application, including a detailed CV and the names and contact details of three referees, should reach the IT Manager by 20th of March 2020: [email protected]ohnscollege.co.za
The school reserves the right not to proceed with the filling of the post. The appointment of candidates is at the sole discretion of St John’s College, taking into account factors such as the St John’s College Employment Equity Policy. Applications are welcomed from South African citizens or persons with a valid work permit. An application will not in itself entitle the applicant to an interview or appointment and failure to meet the minimum requirements of the advertised post will result in applicants automatically disqualifying themselves from consideration. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. If you have not heard from St John’s College within two weeks of the closing date, please assume that you have been unsuccessful in your application.