St John’s Preparatory is a world-class Christian, African school situated on a magnificent campus in Houghton, Johannesburg, offering quality education from Nursery School to Grade 7. It forms part of St John’s College. The school has an outstanding record in preparing young boys for College and offers an excellent academic curriculum which is enriched with music, art, drama and sport.
St John’s Preparatory seeks to fill the position of Head with effect from May 2020.
The Head of the Preparatory, who reports to the Executive Head of St John’s College, has full authority over The Bridge Nursery School, Aftercare, the Pre-Preparatory, and Preparatory. This is an exciting opportunity for a forward-thinking educationalist and leader who will continue to innovate whilst enriching the ethos and values of a high performing school. Candidates should have a track record of highly successful leadership experience, developed as either a Head or a Deputy, and the warmth and passion for learning to inspire students, staff and parents alike. The next Head will be a naturally collaborative leader, willing to fully embrace his or her role as the Head and the unique opportunities this presents to contribute to the development of the St John’s College strategy in the world of education and beyond.
Skills and Knowledge Requirements
- Exceptional knowledge and demonstrable success in all aspects of school leadership.
- Outstanding people leadership skills, with a willingness to delegate meaningfully and an instinctive understanding of how to create the conditions in which others can grow, develop and succeed.
- A clear grasp of the role of Head, with the proven ability to devise and implement strategy, prioritise effectively and hold the many different elements of the job in balance.
- A demonstrable commitment to transformation and the ability to relate to parents, students and stakeholders of the school from a wide variety of cultural backgrounds.
- First-class communication skills, with the manner, gravitas and personal authority to act as a compelling ambassador of St John’s College.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to inspire the whole school community in the pursuit of excellence.
- An intellectual enthusiasm for wider educational developments, particularly in relation to developments in technology supporting academic outcomes and effective teaching and learning.
Experience & Education Requirements:
A relevant under-graduate degree, with a post-graduate teaching qualification in the senior phase
- Masters degree preferable
- At least 10 years’ experience as a teacher
- At least 5 additional years’ experience in a management role
- Demonstrable track record of successful leadership across both academic and commercial aspects of schools
- Strong computer literacy and experience in using technology to enhance teaching in the classroom and administration.
- Deep understanding, gained through direct experience of the challenges and demands of leadership in a boys school environment.
- The academic and intellectual credentials to command the respect of the whole school community
- Demonstrable experience of developing and leading high performing team
Interested candidates should submit a letter of motivation including a detailed CV and three contactable references to [email protected] by 31 August 2019.
Prep Headmaster Candidate Brief
Senior Drama Teacher
St John’s College is a world-class Christian, African school situated on an historic campus in Houghton, offering quality education from Nursery School to Sixth Form. The school has an outstanding academic record and an excellent reputation in sport, music, drama, art and debating.
Our strong, dynamic Drama department is looking for an inspirational teacher to join a supportive, committed and innovative team with an ethos of professional development.
We seek to appoint an individual from January 2020 who:
- is an enthusiastic teacher with a love of Drama who is able to share their passion with their students
- has the ability to teach all students from Grade 8-12
- will assist in producing the annual school play
- will assist in overseeing the inter-house plays and drama festivals
- will assist in overseeing the afternoon programme
- BA Dramatic Arts or an equivalent qualification
- Teaching experience at school or tertiary level
- SACE registration
- IEB teaching experience
- 5 years teaching experience at school or tertiary level
- Experience in Theatremaking at a professional level
Must be willing to participate in the extra-curricular programme
Members of staff are expected to support the Christian ethos of the school
A letter of application, including a detailed CV and the names and contact details of three referees, should reach the HR Manager by 8 August 2019 at [email protected]
Sjc College Drama Teacher January 2020
The school reserves the right not to proceed with the filling of any post. The appointment of candidates is at the sole discretion of St John’s College, taking into account factors such as St John’s College Employment Equity Policy. Applications are welcomed from South African citizens only or persons with a valid work permit. An application will not in itself entitle the applicant to an interview or appointment and failure to meet the minimum requirements of the advertised post will result in applicants automatically disqualifying themselves from consideration. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. If you have not heard from St John’s College within two weeks of the closing date, please assume that you have been unsuccessful in your application.